The Sanford Police Department would like our residents to be aware of the following information regarding the operation of golf carts within the City of Sanford.
All golf carts must be registered with the City of Sanford following a two-step process:
- Complete application at City Hall, located at 300 N. Park Ave.
- Physical Safety Inspection - The Sanford Police Department will contact applicant to schedule inspection after the application has been submitted to City Hall.
Golf cart registrations expire on December 31st of each year and must be renewed annually.
Golf Cart Operations:
- Registered golf carts operating on the roadways must follow all of the same traffic laws as a regular vehicle, and are subject to the same penalties (citations, warnings, or criminal charges).
- Operating an unregistered golf cart on the roadway is a criminal traffic offense.
- Golf cart operators must be at least 16 years of age and licensed.
- Infants through age three must be in a federally approved child restraint device, and children four to five years of age must be restrained with a seat-belt.
- Operating a registered golf cart outside of the permitted zone is a criminal traffic offense.
Golf Cart Permitted Zone: View Map
*Operating a registered golf cart outside of the permitted zone is a criminal traffic offense.
For questions regarding golf cart operations in the City of Sanford, please contact Lieutenant Peter Justiniano.