Permit FAQs

Are permits required to remove trees?

Yes. Arbor permits are issued by our Planning and Development Services Division. Please contact 407.688.5140 ext. 5144 or contact Christopher Smith at

Where can I get a Garage Sale Permit?

We do not issue garage sale permits; however, Community Improvement does have pertinent information for residents.

What if I need to conduct permit business on Friday?

 If you need an emergency permit the Building Official can be contacted for information. If you require a Friday inspection please contact the Building Official at (407)688-5058.

Do I need a permit to replace my fence?

Maintenance of fencing is required to prevent dilapidated or hazardous conditions. Please review our Fence Permit Checklist for these regulations. Please check the City of Sanford Land Development Regulation on types of fencing allowed within the City  Schedule F, section 5.0.

Where can I come to pull a permit?

Our office location is 300 N. Park Avenue in beautiful downtown Sanford. Some permits can be pulled by fax or email. Please contact our office for additional information at 407-688-5150.

What Building Code does the City of Sanford use?

We follow the most recent edition of the Florida Building Code.

Do I need sealed plans from an architect to pull a permit?

We require a design professional to sign and seal any construction plans, even if you are acting as your own contractor.

What types of construction requires permits?

Florida Statute 553.79 requires permits to erect, alter, modify, repair, or demolish any building. This also means all accessory structures including but not limited to carports, garages, fences and sheds. A permit is required to repair, remove, convert, or replace electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing.

How much does a permit cost?

Permit fees are based on the type of construction. Please check our publications for current fee schedules.

Does the City of Sanford charge a plan review fee?

We require payment of a plan review fee at time of submittal. A copy of the executed contract is required in order to estimate the plan review charge. If the executed contract is not submitted, we reserve the right to estimate the plan review fee based on past permit activity levels. Should estimated charges exceed the documented construction value, credit will be applied to your permit fees when the permit is released.  Should estimated charges be less than DCV, the additional fees will be collected before the permit is released.

Does the City offer expedited plan review?

Yes, we offer an expedited plan review. Please contact 407.688.5150 for more details.

How is Documented Construction Valuation Determined?

A contract between the contractor and the property owner or tenant will specify a construction cost. The Building Official has the right to use a national standard as a comparison for DCV. This is published semi-annually by the International Code Council in the Building Safety Data Table.

Do I need a contractor to pull permits?

Florida Statute allows commercial or residential property owners to erect, alter, modify, repair, or demolish any building, total value not to exceed $75,000 for commercial construction, for his/her own use. Properties to be offered for sale or lease within one year of completion of construction are exempt from this ruling and all work shall be done by licensed contractors. Proof of ownership is required for all permits. Please see Florida Statute 489.103 for complete information.

How do I choose a contractor?

Ask for and check references and ask to see their state license(s). State law requires the license number to be on the business card and proposal. Check for any license complaints for your contractor.  Check We can check our business tax records to see if any complaints have been made in reference to a specific contractor located within our jurisdiction. If a contractor asks you to secure the permit this is a red flag and if you choose to do this you are at risk.

Does the City restrict the hours of operation regarding construction noise?

The Noise Ordinance is regulated by City Code Section 38-74. - Construction.

Does the City do Pre-Power Inspections?

A Pre-power form is required stipulating the reason for the pre-power request. Each metered unit including house panels are subject to a pre-power fee. Please see the current fee schedule.

Do sub-contractors have to pull permits?

We require the general or building contractor pull the main permit. Then all state licensed sub-contractors must pull their own permits.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer