Code Enforcement

 Code Enforcement Mission Statement

To enhance the quality of life, preserve and protect neighborhoods by strengthening civic responsibility, education and enforcement of the City Code. To promote voluntary compliance by establishing partnerships with citizens, businesses and other agencies.

Code Enforcement Division is dedicated to improving the quality of life of our residents by enforcing the City Code. Code enforcement is an integral part of community policing, as it protects local property values and helps to build cleaner, safer communities.

The Code Enforcement Division is here to assist the citizens of Sanford in keeping their neighborhoods in compliance with City Codes. Keeping properties code compliant protects and enhances property values and makes the City a more attractive place to live, work and shop.

Code Enforcement business hours are Monday thru Thursday, 7:00am to 5:30pm.

Monday through Thursday. You may contact the office at 407.688.5163. You may leave a voice message after hours or send E-mail to code enforcement.

Code Enforcement officers investigate complaints to determine if a violation of City Code exists and, if so, the responsible person is notified to correct the violation. Violations that are not corrected by the responsible person as required by law are heard by the City's Special Magistrate. For more information, visit the Special Magistrate Hearing page.

Code Enforcement Online Services

Access our online service via CitizenServe

Our online service allows citizens access to Code Enforcement services after hours and on weekends. Registered users may login to submit a Code Enforcement complaint with up to three digital photos and quickly check the details of a specific complaint.

Code Enforcement Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is considered an unlicensed/ inoperable vehicle?
A: Any vehicle, including trailers, kept in residential areas of the City must have a current license tag assigned to it, and be capable of being immediately and legally driven on the street.

Q: Is it acceptable to keep an unlicensed/inoperable vehicle under a car cover, in a carport or behind a fence?
A: No. To keep an unlicensed/inoperable vehicle on your property, it must be kept in a fully enclosed garage.

Q: What is considered high growth?
A:  Grass or weeds more than 12 inches in height is considered high growth in violation of the City Code. Homeowners are also responsible for maintaining the alley ways and rights of way that adjoin their property.

Q: What is considered junk, trash, debris and litter?
A: It is against code to allow the accumulation of junk, trash, debris and litter, including but not limited to cans, papers, plastics, cardboard, furniture, auto parts, appliances, tires, building materials, or any kind of yard waste. This also applies to any adjoining alley ways or right of ways.

Q: Is outdoor storage permitted?
A: No. Open, outdoor storage is prohibited in residential areas. This includes carports and screened porches that are visible from the street. You may not store indoor furniture, household appliances, clothing, tools, equipment, building supplies or any item that does not ordinarily belong outside.

Q: What is considered lack of maintenance to a structure?
A: Any wood, siding, shingles, roof covering, railings, fences, walls, ceilings, porches, doors, windows, screens, and other parts of a structure must be kept in weather proof, weather tight, rodent proof condition and good repair. All doors and windows must be kept secure.

Q: Can I post signs in my neighborhood?
A: Portable signs and banners cannot be placed on public rights of way or any public property. No signs may be placed or altered on private property without a permit from the Building division. For information on sign permits call the Building Division at 407.688.5150.                     

Q: When do I need a construction permit?
A: No building or structure may be erected, altered, or enlarged without first obtaining the necessary building and zoning approval. This includes fences and sheds. Electrical, plumbing, and mechanical alterations also require permits. For building permit information call 407.688.5150 0.     

Q: Are there special rules for repairing a home in the Historic Residential District?
A: Yes a Certificate of Appropriateness is required before doing any work to the outside of your residence. This includes painting, remodeling, additions, fences and roof repairs. Contact the Planning and Development Services Historic Preservation Officer for more information at 407.688.5140.

Q: Do I need a permit for a garage sale?
A: No, a resident is allowed to have two garage sales in a calendar year, limited to 3 consecutive days. Signs or other forms of advertisement may be displayed only on the garage sale property.

Q: Does the City have regulations concerning animals?
A: Residents are limited to 3 dogs and 3 cats per household. Chickens, pigs, (including pot bellied pigs) and other farm animals are generally not permitted within the City.  Domestic animals are also regulated by Seminole County.   For information regarding county animal regulations, call Seminole County Animal Control at 407.665.5110.

Q: Do I need an Business Tax Receipt to do business in the City?
A: Yes, no person shall engage in any occupation, business, or profession without first obtaining a City of Sanford Business Tax Receipt (BTR). A Seminole County Business Tax Receipt may also be required, but is not a substitute for a City of Sanford BTR. For more information on Business Tax Receipt requirements call 407.688.5150.

Q: Can I park my car between the curb and sidewalk?
A: It is illegal to park on the area between the curb and sidewalk, or park on, or across any sidewalk. Driving over a curb is illegal in the City of Sanford. Additionally, vehicles cannot be parked in the front or side yard unless parking occurs in the area of a lot permitted for a driveway with any associated curb cut.

Q: What is considered a vehicle?
A: The City of Sanford defines vehicles as: trucks, automobiles, boats, recreational vehicles, travel trailers, mobile homes, farm equipment and non-motorized hauling trailers and pleasure craft that are normally kept or displayed outside.

Last updated: 10/3/2012 9:53:27 AM