The City of Sanford administers the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) for Seminole County residents. You may be eligible if you household size and income are not more that 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
Office hours are Monday - Thursday, 7:00am to 5:30pm. Services are by appointment only. Appointments are made every Thursday between 9:00am to 10:00am for the following week. Our office contact number is 407.688.5166.
What is LIHEAP?
LIHEAP is a Federally-funded program that helps low-income households with their home energy bills with three types of assistance.
Home Energy Assistance
• Home Energy amount is base household’s income level as compared to the national poverty income level matrix. The income limit is 150% of the federal poverty guidelines.
• This takes into account both gross income and family size. The lower the income, the higher the home energy benefit level.
• An emergency or crisis is not an eligibility requirement under this area of assistance. This area pays the matrix benefit amount, not the actual current home energy bill amount.
• Helps eligible households resolve or mitigate a home energy crisis.
• No access of being in immediate danger of losing access to needed home energy.
• Crisis assistance is limited to once during the cooling season(April-September)and once during the heating season-(October-March)
Weather Related Assistance
• Assist to resolve or mitigate a home energy crisis caused by an emergency declared by the Secretary, Governor or President.
What information do I need to apply?
• Annual income determined by two methods:
• Total income for the year prior to the year of application or
• Total income for the 12 months prior to the month of application.
• The income received by all members of the household, must be totaled, annualized and measured against the income limit for the household’s size with the federal income matrix.
• Must reside in Seminole County.
• Must be legal citizen of U.S. or registered alien eligible for federal benefits.
• Proof of energy obligation - Utility bill, Final Notice or Past Due Notification from your energy company is required.
• Income documentation
• Wage statement
• Child support documentation
• Food stamp documentation
• Social Security Income documentation
• Social Security award letter
• Income for all persons in the household who have income
• Name of all persons living in the household
• If more than one household resides at the same location, the applicant must provide clarification of their separate household status.
• Unemployment compensation
• VA. Benefits
• Retirement Benefits
• Social Security card for all persons in the household.
• Picture ID. (driver license/ID card)
• Copy of rental agreement (lease) or mortgage statement