ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT OVERVIEW
Welcome to the Historic City of Sanford on the shores of beautiful Lake Monroe and the St. Johns River! Since its inception in 1870 by the purchase of 12,547 acres by General Henry Sanford, the City of Sanford has been a major business and transportation hub of central Florida. It continues to this day to offer outstanding economic development opportunities to new and existing businesses, offering a healthy mix of industrial office and retail growth opportunities.
The Orlando Sanford International Airport is the largest private employer in the City, and has ranked as the fastest growing airport in the country for a number of years since 2000. Its 350 acre industrial park is one of six located in the City which are part of Foreign Trade Zone #250. The FTZ allows significant tax benefits for companies involved in import and export or using imported materials in their operations.
The City of Sanford continues to promote Sanford as a great place to locate businesses through marketing and outreach efforts. Business growth from both new business relocation and existing business expansion has been a key factor to the health of our local economy. A recent Sanford Herald article discussed Sanford's positive development trend. The article can be found here: http://www.mysanfordherald.com/view/full_story/19495307/article-City-Spotlight--Economic-development-in-Sanford-sees-positive-trend-in-2012%E2%80%99s-numbers?instance=home_news_bullets
Additionally, this office serves as the Director of the Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA). The office also functions as a liaison for business interests to the City government. Additional projects and business improvement efforts include:
- Facilitating City, County and State Economic Development Incentives
- Assistance with Business Development Resources
- Commercial property improvement assistance through the Downtown Sanford CRA.
- Streamlining the City’s permit review processes to improve service to the businesses community
- Helping businesses with regulation and permitting requirements and getting answers to questions
- Community Visioning and Strategic Planning
- “Friendly Sanford, A Lot to Like” marketing campaign