Frequently Asked Questions

What is zoning and how is my property zoned?
Zoning is the principal tool used in regulating the use of land in many communities. Zoning classifies land uses into specific categories referred to as zoning districts. Many uses are permitted by right, while other uses require review and approval by the Development Review Team, Planning and Zoning Commission and sometimes by the City Commission. Zoning districts are displayed on a map as areas appropriate for the various types of land use activities. Zoning districts have set regulations that control the intensity of development by regulating elements such as minimum lot sizes, setback distances, maximum lot coverage, building height, and the size and number of off-street parking spaces.  The specific zoning for a property can be determined by reviewing the City's Zoning Map or by contacting the City's Planning and Development Services Department at 407.688.5149. A site address and/or Tax Parcel Identification number will be necessary to determine zoning information.

What business can I have on my property?
Permitted uses for a given property can be determined by consulting the City's Land Development Regulations (LDR), Schedule B - Permitted Uses or at Sanford City Hall. All permitted and conditional uses are subject to a given site meeting the other development requirements of the LDR including, but not limited to, parking, setbacks, open space, landscaping and safe and effective access to, from and on the site.

Where can I find the definitions for land uses in the City?
Specific classifications and definitions for land uses are identified in the City's Land Development Regulations (LDR), Schedule A - Glossary or at Sanford City Hall. Schedule A contains words which have special or limited meanings as used in the City of Sanford LDR. Additional definitions specific to certain schedules may also be found at the front of Schedules J, K, R and S.

How do I know what my setbacks are and how do I determine how much open space I need?
Area and Dimensional requirements, including setbacks and open space, are specific to your zoning classification and can be determined by consulting the City's Land Development Regulations (LDR), Schedule C - Area and Dimensional Requirements.

Where can I find the parking requirements for the City? Do I need a permit to resurface or restripe my parking lot?
Schedule H - Parking Requirements of the City's Land Development Regulations (LDR) establishes the parking standards for the City. Off-street parking spaces are reviewed as part of a Development Plan and are required to be installed at the time of new development, alteration of existing development, or before any change of use on a property. In addition, any modification to an existing parking area, including resurfacing and restriping, requires Development Review and a Site Development permit. Except as provided for under joint parking and shopping centers and malls, each use shall be calculated separately for the purpose of determining the required number of off-street parking spaces. 

What is a CAPP meeting and why do I need one?
In an effort to meet the needs of the community, the City Commission adopted an innovative program called Citizen Awareness and Participation Plan (CAPP) to ensure early and effective citizen participation in conjunction with proposed development applications. The City's Land Development Regulations (LDR) now require project applicants to create and implement a citizen participation plan prior to gaining various approvals. The purpose of the CAPP program is to ensure both the developers and citizens have adequate opportunities early in the planning process to discuss, understand, and try to resolve neighborhood issues related to the perceived impact of a proposed project.

Do I need approval or a permit to cut down a tree(s) on my property?
An Arbor Permit is required prior to any action to directly, or indirectly, cut down, destroy, remove or relocate, or damage any living tree situated on a property. The definition of a tree is any living, self-supporting, woody plant which normally grows to a minimum height of fifteen (15) feet and usually has a single trunk.

Who establishes the fee rates for Sanford and how much are the application and permit fees?
The Sanford City Commission establishes the fees for all applications and permits. The correct Land Development Fee Schedule was adopted by Resolution No. 2814 on September 23, 2019 and lists the fees for all development related activities.

Can the City tell me where my property lines are and how do I get a copy of my survey?
Exact locations of property lines can only be determined with a copy of a survey or survey based site plan of the site. The City does not maintain copies of surveys for individual properties. A surveyor can assist you with obtaining a survey of your property. A property owner may have a copy of their survey in the documentation from a sale or a recent redevelopment project of the site.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer