Pathways to History - Goldsboro and Historic Goldsboro Boulevard

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Historic Goldsboro was the second all African American town in Florida, incorporated in 1891. William Clark was the founder of Goldsboro, with the support of William Walden, J.W. Small, Joseph White, and William Boykins. For twenty years Goldsboro was a prospering city with its own government, shops, churches, and schools. Included in the bustling business district was Goldsboro's own town council, jail, tax collector, and police and fire department. The town was ½ mile square bordered by 10th Street and Clark, Mulberry, and Harrison Avenues.

Goldsboro lost its identity as a city when the powerful white leaders, along with Mayor Forrest Lake of Sanford dissolved Goldsboro's City Charter. In April of 1911 the town of Goldsboro was forcibly annexed by Sanford. Street names in Goldsboro were renamed to conform to Sanford's street grid.

In 1926 Crooms Academy of Information Technology was constructed and named by the Board of Education out of appreciation for the sacrifices of the principal Joseph Nathaniel Crooms and his wife. Crooms Academy was founded as a High School for African American students. Professor J.N. Crooms was principal from 1926- 1956.

The Goldsboro Historic Museum was opened in October of 2011 by the Goldsboro Westside Community Historical Association to honor the 100 year demise of the city of Goldsboro. The Goldsboro Museum collects and celebrates the heritage of the community. The museum highlights the rich history of Goldsboro with emphasis on the early pioneers, through special exhibits of collected historic materials and through the education and display of arts.

The museum is located at 1211 Historic Goldsboro Blvd. Sanford, Florida. After the creation of the museum there were two street name changes to Goldsboro. In 2013, Lake Avenue, which had been renamed for Sanford’s mayor and legislator Forrest Lake, was officially renamed William Clark Avenue in honor of one of Goldsboro’s founders. The other name change is the West side of 13th street was renamed Historic Goldsboro Blvd. to mark the community of Goldsboro.

The Pathways to History tours will continue to evolve as more research is conducted, check back periodically for updated information.