Sanford Police Department
A Fully Accredited Police Department
The Sanford Police Department was accredited through the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation during September 2012.
Accreditation has long been recognized as a means of maintaining the highest standards of professionalism. Accreditation is the certification by an independent reviewing authority that an entity has met specific requirements and prescribed standards. Schools, universities, and hospitals are some of the most well known organizations that are required to maintain accreditation. Since 1993 law enforcement agencies in Florida have attained accredited status through the Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation, Inc. To maintain accreditation the Sanford Police Department is required to comply with over 250 professional standards.
What are the most significant benefits of accreditation for the citizens of Sanford?
- It increases the law enforcement agency’s ability to prevent and control crime through more effective and efficient delivery of law enforcement services to the community it serves.
- It enhances community understanding of the law enforcement agency and its role in the community as well as its goals and objectives.
- Citizen confidence in the policies and practices of the agency is increased.
What are the most significant benefits of accreditation to the employees of the Sanford Police Department?
- The morale of the agency is enhanced by increasing the employees’ confidence in the effectiveness and efficiency of their own agency. Operations become more streamlined and consistent.
- Accreditation policies address officer safety issues and provide for adequate training and equipment of the officers.
- Accreditation is a coveted award that symbolizes professionalism, excellence, and competence.
The Commission for Florida Law Enforcement Accreditation requires that each agency receive an onsite assessment every three years.